Friday, July 24, 2009

Anxious....Who, Me?

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."  Philippians 4:6

In other words, don't worry about anything. God is in control...it doesn't make sense to worry. What's going to happen will happen....and God already knows.  Everything that touches us has already gone through the throne of God.

I wish that I would remember this verse and what it means every time I catch myself worrying about stuff that I can't do anything about anyway. This past year and a half has been one worry after another, and I'm ashamed to say that I've let that worry control me. It hasn't served any purpose but to keep me up at night and do a lot of stress eating, which in turn causes me more worries....it's a vicious cycle.

I saw a message on Facebook from our Board of Education meeting last night that said the decision had been made to cut out all but two of the pre-planning days next week, and to cancel the Open Houses at all the schools...all of this in reaction to the state's mandate that all state employees take 3 furlough days. It seems so unfair to cut the pre-planning days because teachers are going to be there working with no pay...not that they have to be there....but their rooms would never be ready in only two days. It also seems so unfair for the students to be denied the opportunity to meet their new teachers. All of this on top of the 2% cut in pay we've already been dealt.

But...."be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."  I must practice what I preach.

Father, I thank You for this day and for the fact that nothing can touch me without Your permission. I know that it's all filtered through Your loving hands.  I pray especially for those whose lives will be drastically impacted by loss of income from the pay cut and furlough days.  Help us all to look for and find the good in each decision that is made. I love You. Amen and amen.

2 comments:

stampvamp said...

oh wow. you're situation has my heart and prayers. I'll be praying for the schools and the teachers. My thoughts are with you all!

Tom said...

Just what I needed to hear! hugs,Elizabeth