Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Who's First?

"Instead of being motivated by selfish ambition or vanity, each of you should, in humility, be moved to treat one another as more important than yourself."  Philippians 2:3

"Put Yourself First"----I saw this headline on MSN. I was shocked (of course, I shouldn't have  been...).  That is completely contrary to God's Word.   The word humility doesn't mean for you to be a doormat.  Humility or humbleness means to be courteously respectful of others. It is exactly the opposite of selfishness, arrogance, boastfulness, vanity, etc. Instead of  "me first", humility allows you to say "you first".  Humility is the quality that lets us go more than halfway to meet the needs (and even the demands) of others.  Acting with humility does not in any way diminish our own self worth, but it allows us to affirm the self-worth and dignity of others.   I think this scripture is saying that since you already love yourself,  you should love others and put their interests above your own.  No, that's not always easy---as a matter of fact, it downright difficult many times - but it is easier if your focus is on God and you are striving to love Him with your whole heart, soul, mind, and strength.

Father, I thank You for this beautiful day. Lord, I don't always act with humility. I know that Your Word says I should. It's hard not to be selfish, but Lord I want to please You by living according to Your Word. Help me to keep my focus on You, loving You with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength. That will allow me to live with a humble spirit. I love You. Amen and amen.

No comments: