Monday, April 6, 2009

Quiet Time...

“I have stilled and quieted my soul.” Psalm 131:2

Since our children left home, our house has been  relatively quiet. It's been fairly easy to steal away and have some quiet time for myself. Do I always do that? Not hardly...I wish I could say that I did. Life is so stressful and "noise" contributes to that stress.  We all need to take time to slip away and just be quiet...rest in God's presence.  Jesus provided the perfect example when He "often withdrew to lonely places and prayed" (Luke 5:16). To be sure, if Jesus found it necessary to do that, why in the world would we ever think we didn't need to do that??? Spending quiet time with God is important for our mind, body, and emotions.  We make appointments for all sorts of activities...why not make a daily appointment with God? I'm preaching to myself here! We usually try our hardest to keep appointments with doctors, hair stylists, nail techs, etc., but do we really try as hard to keep those daily appointments with God? I'm ashamed to say that I don't. Today I'm making a renewed commitment to schedule those quiet times and keep my appointments. Won't you join me?

Father, I thank You for this day and this wonderful week of rest and relaxation. I pray that my time is spent wisely and on things that will have some eternal significance.  I ask forgiveness for the times that I have put my quiet time with You on the back burner and pursued other activities. Please help me today to be committed  to keeping that daily appointment with You. I love You. Amen and amen.

No comments: