Monday, April 13, 2009

The Good Fight...

“The time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing”  2 Timothy 4:6-8

Life is so fragile. Every one of us is only one heartbeat away from eternity. We read in 2 Timothy 4 that Paul said, "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith..."  When I think about his words, I wonder if I will be able to say that when my time is up. I certainly hope so. When you are around a loved one who is dying, it really makes you sit up and think about your own life and what you've accomplished here on Earth.  God put each one of us here for a specific purpose.  It's our duty to find out what that purpose is, and to spend our lives fulfilling that purpose...making every moment count.  I think that's what Paul meant when he said, "I have finished the race, I have kept the faith...". He knew his purpose and poured himself into it, spending the remainder of his life spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Father, I thank You for this beautiful day, and another opportunity to show Your love to a lost and dying world. I thank You for giving up Your Son to die on the cross for me. I thank You for His resurrection and the promise of eternal life to those who believe. When I think about what my life is "about", I wonder if You'd be pleased. I ask Your forgiveness for the time I've wasted. Please show me how You want me to spend the time I have left on this Earth.  I love You. Amen and amen.

No comments: