Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Are You Fit?

“Study to [show yourself] approved unto God, a workman.” 2 Timothy 2:15
I'm probably preaching to the choir today...but this is more for myself than anyone else.  This verse is about exercise....actually, exercising your mind by studying scripture.  Our bodies grow slovenly without adequate exercise; so do our minds.  You may not be like me, but I often find myself in situations where I can't remember what I went into a room for, or remember what I was going to say.   I don't know if there is any research to back it up, but I've heard doctors say that spending hours in front of TV, and avoiding intellectual stimulation make our brain's memory capacity shrink.  It's so easy just to let your mind "go"...sort of "veg out"...but then it's like we've become old before our time.  We need intelligent, thought-provoking conversation; we need to read things that will stretch our brains.  Studying scripture is a great way to promote healthy brain exercise.  Why not spend time in God's Word today?

Father, I thank You for this beautiful day and for reminding me that I should be exercising my brain with Your Word. Help me to make better choices with how I spend my time. I love You. Amen and amen.

2 comments:

Amber said...

i needed this anne today especialy its been a trying week ! Thanks for your insight here its always helpful and great to read have a blessed and wonderful day !

Bridgett said...

I need to more of the same! Thank you for speaking such inspiring words today!