Sunday, February 15, 2009

My First Love...

“Simon Peter said to them, ‘I am going fishing.’” John 21:3

I've read that scripture 100 times, but I guess I never really thought about it's significance. When Peter decided to go fishing that night, he may have been making a decision to get away from everything and go back to where he first met the Lord. What a plan! Anytime we get discouraged, we have two choices...we can either go back to the One who can save, keep and satisfy, or we can return to whatever was going on in our lives before we met Him. I don't know about you, but that's not a good move for me! Quite a few years ago, I read a book called The Sacred Romance. The book focused on the fact that so many of us have done exactly what God said to the church in Revelation: “You have persevered…and have labored for My name’s sake and…not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works” (Revelation 2:3-5). Has your love for God grown cold? If so, you need to go back to where you first met Him.

Father, thank You so much for this day...the Lord's Day. I ask You to forgive me for allowing myself to move farther and farther away from where I was in my walk with You. You didn't move...I did...and I'm ashamed. Lord, I want to go back to when I first met You. Fill me again until my cup overflows. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: