Friday, January 2, 2009

On Guard...

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23

I have had the opportunity over the holidays to spend a lot of time with my little granddaughter. She's such a sweetie. When it's time to go, I don't want to give her back...but I know that I have to. I would do anything to protect her and keep her safe. It breaks my heart to watch the news and hear of children who meet their end at the hands of those who should love them the most. I just cannot fathom how that happens. Basically, God's Word is telling me that as much as I would guard my granddaughter, I should guard my own heart even more. It is the wellspring of life. Putting those two things side by side....guarding my granddaughter and guarding my own heart...and understanding the importance of the first...really drives home the emphasis that God places on the second.

Father, I thank You for this day and I thank You especially for my sweet granddaughter. Lord, help me to watch over and protect her as much as I am able. I trust You to do what I cannot do. Help me also to guard my own heart. The things of this world work overtime to tear my heart away from You. As I venture into this new year, I want to work harder to bring myself closer to You and I realize that my heart is where it all will happen. I love You, Lord. Amen and amen.

post signature

1 comment:

n2kids said...

This is so beautiful. I love it. My favorite color combination is pink and green. Love it!