Saturday, December 27, 2008

Go Light Your World...

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

I was reading about Robert Louis Stevenson last night. The story goes that at age 12, he was looking out into the dark from his upstairs window watching a man light the street lamps. Stevenson's governess came into the room and asked what he was doing. He replied, "I am watching a man cut holes in the darkness." .....Cutting holes in the darkness....... that's a picture of what we're supposed to be doing in the world....cutting holes in the spiritual darkness...being a light in the darkness of a sin-filled world. That light doesn't come from us...we are not the generators or creators of the light. All we do is reflect the light. You know, the moon has no light of its own...it reflects light from the sun. The closer it is to the sun, the brighter the reflection. Just like the moon, to shine brightly we have to stay close to the source of light...our Savior, Jesus Christ. We can do that by reading God's Word, praying, and worshipping Him. We need to read the Bible and meditate upon the Word and pray and sing the Lord's praises. We can "cut holes in the darkness" by talking about Jesus. We must not hide our lamp under a basket, but rather let our light shine and reflect the light of the glory of Jesus Christ.

Father, thank You for this day and another opportunity to "cut holes in the darkness" of this world. Draw me closer to You, Lord, so that my light will shine brightly for You. There are so many times when I feel as though my light is just a flicker, but I realize that it was me that moved away from the Source...You didn't move. You never change. Sometimes I feel afraid to get closer to You, Lord, because it exposes the sin in my life and I'm forced to deal with it. Yet, I know that You forgive me. Jesus paid that price for me. So, why am I afraid? I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: