Sunday, August 17, 2008

Why So Sad?

"Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance." Psalm 42:5

This psalm speaks to me. It has spoken to me for a very long time. I struggle with this for various reasons. Jesus Himself struggled with it. I'm talking about spiritual depression. In John 12:27 and Mark 14:34, when Jesus was in the Garden of Gesthemene, he echoed the psalmists words. I think all serious Christians, at some point in their lives, experience this. The issue isn't whether you will or not, but I think it's how you respond when it happens. We can be depressed for various reasons, not the least of which is personal adversity. It's mind-boggling how some people can live their lives going from one tragic situation to another. My family is one that has dealt with more than its share of tragedies. It gets to you after a while. You start feeling confused about what you believe because there seems to be such a contradiction between your faith and the situation you find yourself in. The problem is compounded when your doubts and feelings are echoed by the accusations of others around you...especially those that are not Christians. I think the secret to dealing successfully with spiritual depression is to look up. Admit to God that you have those feelings. I think it gets worse when we try to ignore it, or cover it up. Think back on why you trust God in the first place...go back and look at all He has done for you. Count your blessings. Pour your heart out to God.

Father, I thank You for always being there. I thank You that when my spirit is depressed, I can look up and find You. The situation my family and I are in is not news to You. Father, through it all, You continue to be faithful to us. You continue to bless us in ways that we never imagined. When lives of our loved ones are lost, You faithfully bring new life into our family. Lord, it's hard living through adversity. But, You know that full well. In the garden, Your sweat became drops of blood because of spiritual depression. I thank You that I serve a God who knows all things, knows my heart, knows the condition of my spirit, and is faithful to respond to my cries for help. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

1 comment:

Jody said...

Thank you for your posting. What perfect timing. It's words I was needing to hear at this present time. Thanks again!