Friday, August 22, 2008

What's Cookin'?

"More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb." Psalm 19:10

In this scripture, David was talking about God's Word. He said it was sweeter to him than honey and honeycomb. There's nothing sweeter than honey. There are many verses in the Bible that talk about us tasting God's Word. Jeremiah 15:16 says "Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart." Job 23:12 says, "I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food." Psalm 34:8 says, "O taste and see that the Lord is good." I don't know how you are, but I like to eat. Therefore, I have to watch my weight. But, I don't have to worry about that with God's Word. I can have all I desire without any bad side effects. When we go on vacation, or on shopping trips, or whatever, one of the first things we ask each other is, "where are we going to eat?" Our social gatherings usually revolve around food. That's probably the same way it was in biblical times, and that's probably why so many references were made to food. Many people are passionate about food...both eating it and cooking it. Just watch the Food Network...look at all the cooking magazines and cookbooks that are available. I think I should strive to feast on God's Word more than on people food. It's much more satisfying, and a lot less fattening!

Father, I thank You for this wonderful Friday. Thank You that we have another weekend to look forward to...a chance to rest from a difficult and tiring week. Father, I pray that You would give me a hunger and a thirst for Your Word. So often I let other things crowd You out. Lord, I want to love reading Your Word more than anything else I could choose to do. I want to feast on it. Sometimes I feel as though there's a famine in my soul, Lord. Please create in me a passionate desire for everything about You. I want Your Word to be the joy and rejoicing of my heart, as Jeremiah. Lord, I want to treasure the words of Your mouth more than necessary food, as Job did. I thank You now, Lord, for the abundant feast that I trust You'll send. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: