Friday, August 1, 2008

School Days, School Days...

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

As we begin a new school year today, I am reminded of this scripture. Of course, I'm sure this is talking about parents and children, but, sadly, sometimes teachers spend more time with the child than his/her parents do. In the original language, "chanakh" (train up) means "to disciple and to dedicate". God says, "you teach them and you dedicate them to Me...how they turn out is up to Me." I realize that teachers in public schools cannot teach children about God. But, I also know that in so many instances, teachers are the only "Bible" that some children will ever read. In other words, how we live our lives before the students we teach is a testimony to God. We can "train them up" through the example of Godliness that we present to them each day. We can also pray daily for our students. We can dedicate them to God ourselves. We can dedicate what we do each day in our classrooms to Him. Be a Godly example. Pray for your students. We have no idea what eternal consequences this may have.

Father, I thank You for the opportunity to begin another school year. I thank You for trusting me with the responsibility I'm faced with each day as I walk through the doors of the school. Help me to be a Godly example, and to live my life as an open Bible...a living testimony of Your love for others. Father, I know that I fall so short, so often, but Your Word says to ask, and it shall be given unto us. Your Word also says that we can do all things through Christ. I also know that You still love and forgive me when I do fall short. Help me and every other teacher, I pray, to be the teacher You created us to be. Help us to love our students, even the ones who aren't always lovable. I pray, Lord, that we would dedicate our school and our students to You. I know full well that You will take care of the rest. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

3 comments:

Pearlann66 said...

that is so true!!!
I teach 1st in a very low SES school and it's so hard to see them learn such bad 'habits' from home as they grow. I had one little boy who was late so much we had to call in the authorities, and his Mom 'taught' him to lie about the lateness. how sad.

Jaime said...

Thank you for teaching our nations youth! I am always amazed at what my children do and sometimes not in a good way, but to move that energy they have in the right direction is powerful! Keep doing god's good work.

n2kids said...

Thank God for godly teachers like you. I too am an educator and realize the importance of living uprightly before my students and co-workers. I once heard someone say, "Preach the gospel. USe words if necessary." So while we can't discuss God at school, we can certainly be example for them follow. Have a blessed year.