Saturday, August 2, 2008

"In the day of prosperity be joyful, But in the day of adversity consider: Surely God has appointed one as well as the other, So that man can find out nothing that will come after him." Ecclesiastes 7:14

Nobody knows what tomorrow brings. We've all seen the prosperous fall because of bad choices they made. We've all seen examples of those who have gone through terrible adversity only to rise above it all, victoriously. I tell you what, I'd rather be the one with adversity who rises in the end. This passage doesn't tell us that we have to be joyful when adversity comes, but what it is saying is that we have to accept whatever comes and make the best of it. You might as well be joyful...what's the alternative? That's not an easy thing to do. Being joyful in adversity is difficult at best. Yet when we know and understand that God brings one as well as the other...and we know that He has a plan for us...a plan to prosper us and not to harm us...and we know that He loves us...and we know that all things work together for good...and that nothing can come to us except by way of Him...we can rest assured knowing that our God is still on His Throne and nothing will take Him by surprise. He already knows. It's going to be OK.

Father, I thank You for this wonderful day...a day I can rest from a difficult week. I thank You for Your Word that says prosperity and adversity will come to each of us, and they come by way of Your Throne. You have a plan for me and, God, I thank You that it's a plan to prosper me. I know that adversity will come...how very well I know that adversity will come...it seems as though we've been through adversity for the past 3 years, Lord. We're still going through it, but I don't have to tell You that. You already know. You've brought it to us for some reason. We may never know why until we meet You face to face and in that day it will be made clear and we will see that it was all for good. Father, I'd rather be in adversity and made to rise in the end, than to be prosperous and fall. Use me, Lord. Use my life and my circumstances to minister to others. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

1 comment:

Anndrea said...

Have you ever thought of writing a book of prayers? I love the prayers in your blog! I pray that my prayers will one day be as sweet and honest as yours. I am a teacher and my favorite is your back to school prayer. I pray that many more teachers will read this and put it to use daily.