Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'm Confused...

"For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints." 1 Corinthians 14:33

I've talked several times about knowing what God is calling you to do, and about listening for His voice. There are voices all around us. The voice of God...the voice of the devil...the voices of people...and, of course, our own inner voice. It's confusing. How do we know it's God's voice, and not the voice of one of the others? 1 Corinthians 14:33 tells us that God is not confusion. When God speaks to us and leads us, it it through our spirits. Oh, it might be physically through another person, or through His Word, but ultimately it comes to us through our spirits. But, here's the thing. We have to be conscious of the spirit inside us. After being born again, there were certain things that I felt like I couldn't do any longer. Before being born again, those things didn't bother me. But, afterwards, I felt a stirring in my spirit in which I just didn't feel right about it. That's being spirit-conscious. Now, I'm not always conscious of the spirit inside me. If I'm being self-centered, or stubborn, I can hush that spirit right up! But, when I'm in God's Word daily, and praying regularly, I am more conscious of His leading. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm probably the last person who should be instructing others in how to hear from God, but this is just what I know...what has been my experience.

Father, I know that You love me and want to speak to me. You choose to do that in many different ways. I pray today, Lord, that when You speak, I am conscious enough to recognize that it is You and not one of the other voices around me. I ask You to forgive me for the times that I have been stubborn and self-centered, and so blocked Your voice. Lord, please don't allow me to continue to hush the spirit within me. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

I definitely say AMEN to your prayer and your post! I don't want to drown out the still small voice of God who is directing me in the way He wants me to go. I cannot make it ONE DAY without HIM!