Saturday, August 23, 2008

Here to Stay...

"The grass withers, And its flower falls away, But the word of the Lord endures forever." 1 Peter 2:24-25

I've been talking a lot lately about the Word of God. I love this verse in 1 Peter, and this is the perfect time of year for an illustration. I looked outside and caught a glimpse of our garden...once beautiful and bountiful...now withered and overgrown with weeds...waiting for Richard (not me!) to plow it under. We plant, the seed grows, and we reap the harvest...then the work of our hands withers away. But God's Word is the one thing in this life that we can be assured will stand the test of time. His Word will never fail. We spent so much time on our garden...don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it...especially the harvest...but we spent our time on something that was temporal. I think I'd do better to invest my time in God's Word. It lasts forever.

Father, I thank You for this wonderful weekend You've given me. Thank You for allowing me an opportunity to rest after a long week. Father, I don't remember if I ever really thanked You for the wonderful harvest You provided this summer. We enjoyed the fruits of our labor. But, Father, I can't help but think that I should have invested more of my time in Your Word. Our garden has withered and died, but Your Word withstands all things. It never fails. Lord, teach me to love reading Your Word...feasting on its bountiful harvest. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: