Thursday, August 7, 2008

Am I a Fire Extinguisher?

"Do not quench the Spirit." 1 Thessalonians 5:19

What a short verse, but what a powerful conviction! We quench the Spirit when we ignore or disobey Him. We extinguish the work the Holy Spirit wants to do through us by ignoring His convictions and by not yielding ourselves to Him. Those little prompts we feel in our spirit or our heart...those still small voices we hear telling us to speak to someone, to send a card, to call, to pray...are convictions of the Holy Spirit in our lives. When we continue to ignore those prompts, eventually it gets harder and harder to recognize them. If we choose to have a negative attitude, we quench the Spirit. We can even quench the Spirit in others if we're not careful of what we say and do. Don't be a spiritual fire extinguisher!

Father, I thank You for this day You've so graciously blessed me with. You didn't have to give me another day, but I thank You for it. Thank You, God, for continuing to put up with me. Lord, I don't want to be a fire extinguisher! I know that I quench the Spirit sometimes by ignoring the prompts I feel to speak to someone, or call them, or even pray for them. Lord, please keep me from quenching the Spirit in anyone's life. I pray conviction upon myself if I have a negative attitude, or speak words of defeat instead of lifegiving words into someone's life. Lord, I want to be a vessel through which Your Holy Spirit can work. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I really enjoy reading your verses! Thanks for sharing them.