Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Vapor in the Wind...

"Lord, make me to know my end, And what is the measure of my days, That I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor." Psalm 39:4-5

I don't want to be morbid, but this is a reminder of how fragile life is, and the uncertainty of our existence. None of us know the length of our days, nor the way it will all come to an end. At best, we are vapor in the wind. We've lost many loved ones along the way, including my sister, Carol, who would have been 46 on July 20th. We lost Richard's mom and sister, and from the doctor's report, we will lose his dad very soon. I was thinking how I would react to news that I only had a short time to live. I think I would panic, knowing that there was so much that I hadn't accomplished...so many places I hadn't been...so many wasted hours. I'm glad that I don't know when my time will be up. I guess the best thing to do is to live each day as though it's your last...spend it loving others and praising God for the gift of life.

Father, I thank You so much for giving me life, and surrounding me with people that I love, who also love me. Thank You for each lesson You teach me through Your Word. I don't always understand everything I read, but I know that when it's meant specifically for me, You open my eyes so that I do understand. God, help me to spend my days loving others as You would have me to. Give me Your eyes to see others as You see them, Your heart to love others as You love them, and Your hands to help those in need. I love You, Lord. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: