Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mirror, Mirror, On the Wall...

"Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him..."

Sometimes I think I must have one of those magic mirrors like the queen in Snow White. When I look in the mirror, I think I look okay...if I don't, I change clothes until I do look okay. Over the years, I have found clever ways of using clothing to camouflage my bodily imperfections. The mirror may lie to me, but the scales don't. Neither does a photograph of myself. Those two things are harsh reality. Although this scripture says not to lie to each other, I think it also means not to lie to ourselves. I have to suck it up and make an honest appraisal of my body shape and my eating habits before I will be in a position to change anything. The first step in an alcoholic's road to recovery is admitting there is a problem...so it is, as well, with those of us whose eating habits and bodies are not honoring God. I found a book called The Diet Alternative at our local Christian book store. I've read that book at least 5 times, cover to cover. I'm hard-headed and need constant reminders. It's a great book(and a very quick read), and really puts eating (and overeating) in perspective.

Lord, I thank You for loving me, regardless of what size I am. I ask You to forgive my eating habits and my body, because they don't honor You. Please help me to make the changes that I need to make so that You're proud of me...and I'm happy with myself. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: