Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lowly Worm...

"But as morning dawned the next day God prepared a worm, and it so damaged the plant that it withered...But the Lord said, 'You have had pity on the plant for which you have not labored, nor made it grow, which came up in a night and perished in a night. And should I not pity Ninevah, that great city, in which there are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot discern between their right hand and their left--and much livestock?' " Jonah 4:7, 10-11

This was God's last effort to bring Jonah into sympathy with His plan to forgive the people of Ninevah. God has a plan for each of us. His plan for us was established before we were ever created. We were saved for a purpose. Jonah was saved for a purpose. God's purpose for Jonah was to preach to the people of Ninevah, so they would be saved. Jonah didn't want to do what God had planned for him. The Word says "God prepared...". God can do whatever He chooses to get our attention. In this case, God chose a worm...a lowly worm. God knows everything about us. None of us is insignificant. God used a lowly worm to teach Jonah a lesson.

Father, I thank You that You have a plan and a purpose for my life. You established that plan before I was ever created. Thank You for saving me for that purpose. But God, You know how much like Jonah I am. You know that I don't always want to do the things that You ask me to do. Lord, You know that I sometimes look at others as insignificant. God help me to remember that, like the worm You sent to Jonah, no one is insignificant in Your eyes. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: