Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing...

"So they ate and were well filled, For He gave them their own desire. They were not deprived of their craving; But while their food was still in their mouths, The wrath of God came against them, And slew the stoutest of them, And struck down the choice men of Israel." Psalm 78:29-31

Do you remember that Alka-Seltzer commercial..."I can't believe I ate the whole thing..."? I'm probably telling my age, but that commercial used to be so funny to me. Sometimes I feel like that man when I have stuffed myself beyond good sense. These verses are talking about food, but also about desires and cravings. Sometimes we want something...we beg God for it...we keep begging, and begging, and doing whatever it takes to accomplish our goal...whether that was God's plan for us, or not. Often, we know in our hearts that what we want is not what God wants...but, stubbornness and greed take over. After a while, God may decide to let us have it...literally. We're allowed to have what it is that we think we want, even though it may be our destruction.

Father, I thank You for this day, and the rain You abundantly blessed us with last night. I pray, Lord, that the desires of my heart would only be what You desire for me. I don't want to be greedy and stubborn, especially to the point of my destruction. Father, don't let me get to that point. I look around me and see things that I've begged and begged for...things I don't need...but You've allowed me to have. It scares me, Lord. I don't want to be one of those slain in the midst of 'eating' what I have craved. Lord, help me to always have a generous heart...a heart that prefers to give to others instead of gathering for myself. I want to be last, rather than first. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: