Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Gardening 101...

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit...I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." John 15: 1-2, 5

The Master Gardener...that's what He is. I was looking through my garden and saw the perfect example of this principle. We have a bunch of pumpkins growing throughout the garden, trailing through the squash, and beans, and climbing up the cornstalks. In the middle of it all, there is a small pumpkin...rotten to the core. I wondered why, since the rest of them are beautiful. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that somehow the pumpkin had lost its connection with the vine. That's how it is with us, I think. When we lose our connection with the Vine, we wither and eventually die...a spiritual, if not physical, death. One way we lose that connection is by failing to keep the lines of communication open...our prayer life flounders, or is nonexistent. I am the first one to admit that I'm a flounder-er. I really try very hard to be consistent in my prayer life...this blog really helps me to stay focused on it...but sometimes other things crowd it out. I tend to want to blame it on this or that, but the truth of the matter is, it's always a choice that I make. I'm ashamed to say that I don't always make the right choice. I think God understands that. He made me, and He knows me inside and out. He knows my heart, so He knows that I mean well, but still mess up, and when (not if) I do, He loves me just the same. I can't help but think that it must make him sad, though...and that hurts me.

Father, You are the Master Gardener. You do all things well. When one of Your children loses their connection with You, it must break Your heart. Father, I know that I need pruning very often, and it's painful. Yet, I thank You for it. I know that I am being changed to be more like Jesus. Prune away. I love You, Lord. Thank You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: