Monday, July 21, 2008

Feast or Famine...

" 'Behold, the days are coming,' says the Lord God, 'That I will send a famine on the land, Not a famine of bread, Nor a thirst for water, But of hearing the words of the Lord.' " Amos 8:11

Famine...in my soul. That's what it feels like to be without the Word of God. I was baptized as an infant. Growing up, we always went to church. I knew how to do the church thing. I knew how to be a good member of the religion we belonged to. But, there was a giant hole in my life. I didn't know Jesus. Sure, I knew about Jesus. I professed Him. I believed Jesus was real. But, I didn't know Him. There's a difference...a huge difference. It wasn't until I was 36 years old that God brought me to the place where my eyes were finally opened to the realization that there was more. I saw Jesus for the first time, as MY Lord and Savior. I invited Him into my heart and life...and I've never looked back. The famine, I believe, was caused by the fact that we didn't read God's Word. It was read to us, a little bit at a time, in church. We were not encouraged to read the Word...we were discouraged, saying that it was not for us to understand. How sad it that? My heart breaks each time I think about it...especially thinking about the years that I spent bringing my children up in the same way. I'm living proof, though, that a person's life can be turned around and upside down with the Word of God. I am now a active, baptized member of a Bible-believing church. I read God's Word, and although I don't understand everything, I believe that God reveals to me exactly what He wants me to know at the time. Praise Him!

Heavenly Father, I thank You so much for Your Word. I thank You that I have the freedom to read and study it. The book of Hebrews says that Your Word is living and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. How could live without it? I would surely perish. Lord, in that day when the famine comes, let me not be one who goes without Your Word. I would sooner die than to live without You. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: