Friday, June 13, 2008

What's That? You Want Me to Do What?

"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure." Psalm 16:5
Every one of us has been assigned a task to do here on earth. Whether we accomplish that task, or not, is up to us. When God calls us to do something, He always, always, always equips us to do it. How do I know what I'm supposed to do? Well, that's the hard part. Sometimes I think it's easier to figure out what we've NOT been called to do. Sure, there are lots of things that I think would be really cool jobs, but they are not part of God's plan for MY life unless He has equipped me to do those really cool jobs. For example, I think Beth Moore has the greatest job in the world. She studies scripture, travels extensively, and meets all kinds of people. She's funny. She's smart. As much as I would love to do that, God didn't call me to be a Beth Moore. As a teacher, I have taught different subjects and different age groups. Looking back on my years in the classroom, I know that I spent some of those years in places that God didn't want me to be. It was not easy. I was not equipped. I mentioned yesterday about the summer job that I have. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would be standing in front of a group of teachers, teaching them about technology, I would have laughed at you. However, God had other plans for me. He equipped me with the skills and the desire to do that particular job. I didn't hear God tell me to go teach that class, but the desire was born in my heart...along with the ability to quickly gain the skills needed to be very successful at the job. I have lots of desires being born in my heart, but not necessarily the skills to accomplish them. Am I making any sense? I know I'm rambling...but anyway. The bottom line is, if God calls us to do something, He will give us everything we need to accomplish that task.
Father, I thank You that You are in control of my life. I would most certainly make a mess of it, if left on my own. You have assigned me certain tasks to do. I'm sure that I haven't even figured out everything You have planned for me, but I can rest securely in knowing that You're handling it. I love You. Amen and amen.

No comments: