Friday, June 27, 2008

What's On Your Mind?

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy---meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8

There are lots of things rattling around in my head...but what are they? What does God want to occupy my mind? Are my thoughts noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, praiseworthy? I'm afraid I'd have to answer a big NO to that one. I start each day trying to think lovely, virtuous, praiseworthy thoughts, but inevitably something happens to thwart that plan. I get up out of bed and grab some coffee (only to find that my half-n-half is all gone), or I discover that the laundry fairy forgot to wash the outfit I wanted to wear. I guarantee you that lovely thoughts are not going through my mind at that point. That's life. We all have good intentions, but life gets in the way. God understands that we're human. We're not perfect. He knows that...He's the one who made us. Yet, His Word says we are to think on those things that are noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy. No, we're not going to get it right all the time. But, we can strive each day to live with that goal in mind. Those thoughts should guide our actions, and our relationships with others. You know, all actions begin with a thought. If our thoughts are ugly, mean, vicious, nasty...what will our actions be like?

Lord, You know me. You know how hard I try to think "the right way", but You also know how often I fail. I praise You, Father, that You still love me...in spite of my shortcomings. Help me to continue to strive each day to think thoughts that would make You proud of me. I love You. Amen and amen.

post signature

No comments: