Sunday, June 1, 2008

How Do I Look?

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

God had told the prophet Samuel, “I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.” (1 Sam 16:1). The problem was that He didn’t tell Samuel which one of Jesse’s sons He had chosen, and there were eight of them. When seven of Jesse's sons were lined up before Samuel, he had to decide which of the sons was to be the chosen next king of Israel.
Samuel walked along the line of sons. He saw the oldest, Eliab, who was big and strong. He must have been thinking, "that’s the one we need....one who can beat up the enemy and inspire courage in his followers...this has to be him!" But the Lord quietly rejected Eliab, because He looks at the heart of His people. The Lord had another one in mind...a man after His own heart...David...the youngest.

Lord, may I always care more about the condition of my heart than I do about my appearance. I pray that You may find in me a pure and clean heart, O God. Amen and amen.

*I'm writing this as I'm preparing to put on my bathing suit and head to the beach! So, you can only imagine! Putting on a bathing suit and going out in public is a very humbling experience!!

No comments: