Monday, May 5, 2008

The Rest of Victory

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." Romans 8:28-29
I pulled out my old Bible. The cover is worn and the edges are frayed, but it's my first Bible, and will always be my most precious one. I turned to the back and found a passage I had written years ago.
Minister and writer Alan Redpath says about the promise of Romans 8:28-29..."There is nothing--- no circumstances, no trouble, no testing--- that can ever touch me until, first of all it has gone past God and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with a great purpose, which I may not understand at the moment. But I refuse to become panicky, as I lift up my eyes to Him and accept it as coming from the throne of God for some great purpose of blessing to my own heart. No sorrow will ever disturb me, no trial will ever disarm me, no circumstance will cause me to fret---for I shall rest in the joy of what my Lord is--- That is the rest of victory."
What a powerful truth! Oh, that I could live that way each and every day. I think the key is the statement in the middle..."I lift up my eyes to Him and accept it as coming from the throne of God..." We've had so many trials in our family over the past several years. My dear sister-in-law (Richard's sister) went to be with the Lord on March 3rd of this year, after a 2 year battle with cancer. Her husband Wayne, who also has cancer, continues to fight, and misses her desperately. Linda's life was a testimony to the saving power of God. The church could not hold all the people who came to her service. They overflowed into the social hall and covered the grounds of the church. She touched so many lives. My husband is traveling today, with Wayne, to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, so Wayne can be scanned again. If you pray, please keep them in your prayers. We're believing God for complete healing. Miracles do still happen every day. Lord Jesus, I thank you today that you do still work miracles in the lives of your children. I'm believing in the power of the shed blood of Jesus...the power to heal. If that is not Your will at this time, we will rest in the joy of what our Lord is...that is the rest of victory. Amen and amen.

No comments: