Saturday, May 10, 2008

Only Two Things...

"Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?', or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."
As I think about what I read this morning, I am reminded of times when I've been poor. I didn't steal, but how easy that would have been. When my children were babies, we had no money. All of our income went for diapers and formula. I remember that having an extra $5 was like having a mint. I know what it's like to be in want. On the other hand, I know what it's like to have riches. Not that we're wealthy now but any stretch of the imagination, ...but I have more earthly possessions than I need. How easy it would be to begin thinking self-sufficiently. To think that we don't need God...that we have everything we need...is a trap. Lord Jesus, thank you today that you've allowed me to experience poverty, as well as riches. Help me to always be mindful of where my blessings come from and how much I need You. You, O Lord, are the source of my existence. Thank you, Lord, for all you have blessed me with. I love you. Amen and amen.

No comments: